Sunday, January 16, 2011

Food Memories

I'm convinced that for everyone, there are different foods that remind them of their youth.  Whether it was your favorite meal that your mom cooked, or even a simple snack that you craved as you grew up, everyone has something edible in their history that, when eaten today, brings back memories of their childhood.

I was reminded of this recently when I decided to cook my Mom's recipe for gumbo.  I hadn't made gumbo in years, and since it's winter and the weather has been cold, I felt like it was about time to enjoy a nice, hot bowl of gumbo.  In order to make gumbo, you have to make a roux, and after that, you add bell pepper, onion, and celery, the "Cajun Trinity".  When I added the vegetables to the roux, the smell that emanated from it instantly brought me back to the days when my Mom would make a big pot of gumbo on a cool day.  To me, it was the smell of my youth.

Another dish that brings me back to my childhood is "soft-fried potatoes", i.e. potatoes cooked in a little oil in a big cast iron skillet.  It was always one of my favorite dishes growing up.  The way some of the potatoes would stick to the pan and become nice and crisp was a treat when I was growing up.  I still make these potatoes often, and every time I do, I can't keep myself from hand picking the crispier pieces out of the pan.  It reminds me of being a little kid again.

So here's my question for those reading this: what foods do you enjoy that bring back memories of your youth?  I'm sure everyone has at least one.

2 comments:

  1. You eat the crispy ones out of the pan? I love the crispy ones! Next time you cook potatoes, we fight to the death over the crispies.

    -your roommate/martial artist wannabe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. Mom's gumbo and potatoes were the best

    ReplyDelete